CBD is having its well-deserved moment in the health and wellness spotlight. As consumers, we are still yet to completely understand the full potential of CBD. Most of the current information is based on anecdotal evidence of the plant’s therapeutic benefits.
CBD has found a loyal user-base among users among people looking for help with stress, pain, insomnia, inflammation, anxiety, and similar problems.
Cannabidiol, or CBD, is one of two components of the cannabis plant. The being THC, or Tetrahydrocannabinol. THC is the component that has a psychoactive effect when consumed and is the active chemical in marijuana.
CBD can be derived from both hemp and cannabis, two species of the same plant. For the plant to be designated as Hemp, the plant needs to have less than the legal limit of 0.3 percent of THC.
Benefits of CBD
Our body’s endocannabinoid system is the body’s main regulatory system that is responsible for balancing the different bodily functions. The human body produces its own set of cannabinoids, known as endocannabinoids that regulates all these different biological processes.
Endocannabinoids affect a range of functions including sleep patterns, response to pain, appetite, fertility, etc. CBD’s phytocannabinoids have a similar effect on the body and give us much the same kind of benefits.
While in-depth studies into the benefits of CBD are still ongoing, research and medical evidence has pointed to some of the following –
- Relief from acute pain
- Improvement in sleep patterns
- Protecting against tumors and the spread of cancer
- Helping reduce the frequency and severity of epilepsy-related seizures
Recipe – CBD-Infused Macadamia Balls
Serving Size: 12
- ¾ cup macadamia nuts
- ⅓ cup almond flour
- ⅓ cup unsweetened coconut (shredded)
- 2 tablespoons cacao nibs
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon (ground)
- 120 mg of CBD-infused MCT oil
- Grind the macadamia nuts into a thick paste using a high-speed blender. Roasted macadamia nuts are especially easy to work with as they are more easily ground.
- Add the CBD oil and coconut oil to the mixture. Give it a quick blend to get a smooth but thick macadamia nut butter. A drop or 2 more of coconut oil can be added to arrive at the appropriate texture.
- In a mixing bowl, mix the almond flour, macadamia nut butter, shredded coconut, vanilla extract, and ground cinnamon. Mix well until a cookie-dough like texture is achieved.
- Have a taste. If required you can a couple of drops of stevia if you like it sweeter.
- Use a tablespoon to scoop a bit of the batter and roll it between the palms of your hand.
- Repeat till all the mixture is used. This should give you approximately 10-12 balls.
- This can be stored in an airtight container for up to a week in the fridge or the freezer for up to a month.
CBD products that are derived from Hemp and contain less than the prescribed .3 percent of THC are legal per federal law. However, certain state laws may still deem it illegal.
CBD products that are derived from Marijuana are illegal per federal law but remain legal under the laws of certain states.
It is advisable to check the appropriate state laws in case of travel. It is important to note that over-the-counter CBD products are not approved by the FDA.